Saturday, June 14, 2014

Consider The Power Source


           Edging. The yard maintenance task I least enjoy. Perhaps because I never grew up with sidewalks. When the grass was mowed on a 2 acre piece of property it required mostly riding a tractor and a little trimming with the push mower. Sidewalks and the suburbs involve an edger and definitely a weed wacker. Having the right equipment can make all the difference on a yard or any chore, for that matter.

But today happened to be the day I decided to edge. I have an electric powered edger. Therefore, I also have a fifty yard heavy duty extension chord. The sun was shining, a gentle breeze was blowing . . . it was the perfect summer day to be doing outside work. I connected the power chord into the outside outlet near my front door. My sidewalk leads out to my driveway. I maneuvered through those areas with ease, rolling the plastic tires as the blade dug into the earth. Then I edged the north side of my sidewalk I realized my extension chord was tangled so I stopped and untangled it and continued. I pushed closer to my property line and then the yellow snake pulled tight. I realized it was caught on a bush so I stopped again and moved the chord to give me more length. When I hit my property line I decided I should be a good neighbor and edge the 7 more feet of my neighbor’s sidewalk. And I did. All of it but maybe 8 inches. I tugged and pulled my chord, but I was at the end. There was simply no more slack. This time there were no bushes, no tangles inhibiting my reach. I couldn’t manipulate any more chord. So slightly defeated— I started back the other way leaving the eight inch gap of untouched grass creeping over the concrete.


Edging the rest of my sidewalk, my mind kept drifting to that 8 inches. If only my weed wacker wasn’t on the brink I’d go back and finish that little bit that I couldn’t reach. Or if I had a motor power edger I could’ve gotten it done. Or a longer extension chord. I started thinking about all the things in my life that haven’t seemed to go as planned and how many tasks that haven’t seemed to go as I’d like. Maybe I needed to just let it go. Let go of all those hang ups. Be more content and less ambitious. Be satisfied.

            When I reached the other end of my property I started pushing my edger towards my house. The garage door was open and on the exterior wall half-way back behind a large trash can was an electrical outlet I rarely used and even forgot existed. Problem solved. I didn’t need better, more expensive equipment to get the job done. I just needed to change my power source.  

             Not everyone calls their higher power God, but many people do have a higher power they acknowledge. I happen to believe in God. And I have a relationship with Him, but unfortunately like many relationships (because we’re human and do take others for granted during periods of our lives), sometimes I neglect God, or take God for granted. On occasion I find myself relying solely on myself. Trying to muster all the power I have to do the tasks I feel necessary in my life. Often, I get to the end of “my chord” and think I’m not adequate. I’m not good enough to do this or that. If only I was equipped with more of that trait or this trait I could have exactly what I want and be accomplished. Who would’ve thought this afternoon edging my sidewalks God would’ve sent me a message. “When you’re at the end of your chord, simply . . . Consider The Power Source.”



 

No comments:

Post a Comment