Saturday, May 14, 2016

Hope is a Muscle

This post originally posted 3/2/2016 on plotsisters.com


I’m not sure exactly who coined the phrase, but I read a book several years ago entitled “In These Girls, Hope is a Muscle” written by Madeleine Blais. The non-fiction book followed the journey of a high school basketball team in Massachusetts with its defeats and triumphs. I used the expression to encourage and challenge my own varsity basketball team I coached years ago and I reference the phrase to my current students in my government and psychology classes.

For any skill to improve one must practice to enhance or make it stronger. It is not unique to only athletics. My own personal writing journey has had its ups and downs. I’ve had moments where I’ve wondered and questioned if what I was doing with my time and if my commitment to the craft was merely a lofty dream. 

It’s easy to be renewed by the promise that things will get better when the sun is shining and the atmosphere is pleasant. But, what about the dark days? How do you conjure up the courage to continue the pursuit of your dreams? I believe that’s where faith and hope become essential. Perhaps if you remember the phrase, hope is a muscle, when you’re feeling doubt and when you’re banging your head up against the wall because you see no progress you’ll remember every step forward is progress. Every word you write is moving forward. Life is cyclical. The more you give, the more you get. Maybe not immediately, but in the long haul. Keep believing. Keep doing. Hope is growing.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post the first time around and I still like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaze credit card offers you with it's convenient and easy to use methods, as you make your everyday purchases, whether shopping online or dinning out. this card is by first savings bank. it is very secured and safe for you to make use of it. it is one of the most best credit card been used, everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete